When I started The Northwest Momma back in 2015, I had no idea what to expect. I was at home with my then 18-month-old toddler and we were in desperate need of some extra money. Since I already had a passion for writing, the idea of starting a blog and earning a second income while still being able to be home with my daughter seemed like a no-brainer.
A couple months in, I began to get a little discouraged. After all the unexpected startup costs, I started to get frustrated when I continued to remain negative as my posts failed to bring in the traffic I had expected. Am I a failure? I had seen countless posts on Pinterest about how people received thousands of page views in their first month of blogging… so what was I doing wrong? It wasn’t until much later that I discovered that the most crucial part of increasing blog traffic: time.
January 2017 Blog Traffic Report
Sure, it’s completely possible to go from 0 to 50k views in a month, but this just isn’t how it always plays out. I have felt like quitting so many times throughout my blogging journey, but I am so glad that I haven’t. Blogging is just like any other profession out there; it requires a lot of time and commitment. So here we are, nearly a year and half later, and my hard work is finally starting to pay off.
Let’s start by breaking down my yearly page view totals:
As you can see, we’ve come quite a long way!
- 2015: 1,408 views
- 2016: 31,197 views
- 2017: 47,738 views (and counting!)
I never would have imagined that this rapid increase in traffic would have been possible. But how? There are many different factors that helped me achieve these numbers, and one of the largest contributors is one of my posts that has become very popular in the past month: My Dollar Store Valentine Jars! post. For obvious reasons, the page views on this post have increased dramatically over the past couple months.
- December: 225 views
- January: 25,337 views
That brings me to my next tip for increasing your blog traffic: create seasonal and holiday posts. And do them often! The best way to optimize your traffic all year long is to have a post that relates to all the major holidays, seasons, and events. For example, for Easter I have my 101 Easter Basket Ideas for Babies and Toddlers (That Aren’t Candy!) post and my 5 Steps to a Greener Christmas and my Holiday Playlist 2016 posts for the holidays.
So how does the Valentine Jars post relate back to my overall traffic?
- November 2016: 3,266 views
- December 2016: 7,428 views
- January 2017: 40,027
- February 2017: 7,711 views (and counting!)
Roughly 63% of my overall traffic was from that single post for the entire month of January, leaving the other 37% to all my other posts at around 14,690 views. Because of this post, my overall traffic increased by nearly 437% in just one month from December 2016! This was completely unexpected and a very pleasant way to start of the blogging year! And all I had to do was just give it a little bit of time.
“But how is your regular traffic doing?” you may ask. I know that this huge spike in traffic may not last forever, since the majority of the traffic came from that one post. So let’s break it down a little bit more. The total views from everything else on my blog aside from the Valentine Jars post in January came to 14,690. This is nearly double my traffic from December 2016 and over quadruple from November.
And that brings me to my final tip for increasing blog traffic: pin, pin, pin! Creating relatable, helpful, interesting content is one thing, but distributing it and getting it to reach people is another. Pinterest has been absolutely my #1 source of blog traffic, period! When I publish a post, the first thing I do is pin it to all the appropriate boards. Then I repin it every week or so until it starts accumulating a decent amount of pins.
I have put a lot of work into the posts and content of The Northwest Momma and watching it grow and develop into the blog it is today has been such an amazing journey. And you can do it, too! It can (and most likely will) be difficult at times and you may feel like quitting just like I did. But it is in those moments that you have to remember to just hang in there!
In conclusion, it is incredibly possible to be a successful blogger. You just have to give it a little effort, and a little time. 🙂Post may contain affiliate links. Read full disclosure here.