Ever since we bought our juicer, Michael and I have been experimenting with all kinds of different fruit and veggie combinations. But of course, being me, I prefer sweeter, more flavorful juices with lots of fruit.
It has been super hot recently as well, so we were really looking for something yummy and refreshing to drink (while still being somewhat healthy). That’s when Michael came came up with the idea to make some delicious fresh lemonade!
The recipe is super simple, but it packs a ton of flavor! With a few lemons and a couple apples, a handful of strawberries and some basil, you can have yourself a tasty, healthy lemonade that’s full of nutrients!
Although you can leave the peels on the lemons when juicing them, I wouldn’t recommend doing it in large quantities. While they are full of antioxidants and essential oils, lemon rinds can also cause problems if ingested excessively. Leaving the rind on one of the lemons prior to juicing is totally fine though!
Note the tiny hand trying to get away with a slice of strawberry! Oh, that sneaky little daughter of mine… 😉
A fair warning: this juice in its raw form is extremely tart. Be sure to give it a taste test before pouring yourself a glass and don’t be afraid to add a bit of sugar to sweeten it up a bit! If you don’t wanna do that, adding in more strawberries until you reach a good balance of sweet and tart should do the trick, too.
This is, hands down, my favorite juice recipe so far. Again, I love me some fruity juices! Plus, it has about a million times less sugar than anything you could buy at the grocery store.
Be sure to give it a try the next time you’re in need of a refreshing drink on a hot day!
- 5 lemons, peeled*
- 3 apples
- 1 cup strawberries, stems removed
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1-2 Tbsp sugar (optional)
- fresh lemon slices and basil for garnish (optional)
- Wash all produce
- (Optional) Cut off about 1/4 of one of the lemons and thinly slice
- Peel remaining lemons and cut into small chunks
- Cut apple into slices
- Begin adding ingredients to juicer, alternating as you go to distribute flavor evenly*
- (Optional) Add 1-2 Tbsp sugar to taste
- Pour over ice and serve immediately
- *You can leave the peel on one of the lemons for added nutrients if desired
- *It's best to add basil toward the beginning, so the other juices can wash it through