As a a stay at home mom, I’m always on the lookout for meals that are at least two of the following: kid friendly, healthy, and easy to make. Lemme tell ya, it’s not the easiest task in the world finding recipes that not only my toddler will eat, but are good for her as well. And once I do find that magical recipe, I want to make it over and over again because I know that she’ll actually eat it. Sound familiar?
One such recipe? Scrambled eggs. Although extremely simple, they are one of the things that Hadley has always loved. Never have a problem with trying to make her eat them – she’ll do so willingly. In my opinion, though, plain scrambled eggs can get really dull really fast. Sometimes when I’m feeling adventurous, I like to spice things up a little (literally) and try something new!
In all honesty, this was originally Michael’s recipe that I gave my own spin on. With garlic, basil, oregano, and parmesan cheese, it has sort of an Italian feel to it. It’s also super easy to make, which of course I’m a fan of!
Start with a half dozen eggs. Whisk them together in a bowl with a splash of water until frothy. Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add in one large clove of minced garlic and cook about 3-5 minutes. Add the egg mixture and cook, stirring frequently. When the eggs are almost cooked all the way through, add in 1/4 cup of freshly chopped basil, 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, and about 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Cook an additional 1-2 minutes, or until eggs are no longer runny and cheese has melted. Serve immediately topped with fresh basil if desired.
Now, I am in no way a professional chef or anything, but this recipe is simple, yummy, and full of good stuff for the kids. It meets the standard for what I consider to be the ideal recipe and I recommend it to anyone who’s looking for a fresh take on a classic recipe.
Be sure to give it a try and tell me what you think! 🙂
- 6 eggs
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh or dried oregano
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk together eggs and a splash of water in a medium sized bowl until frothy. Stir in salt and pepper if desired. Set aside
- Add olive oil to skillet over medium heat. Add minced garlic and cook 3-5 minutes
- Pour in egg mixture and cook on medium-low heat, stirring frequently
- When eggs are still slightly watery, add in fresh herbs and cheese and continue to cook until eggs are fully cooked and cheese is melted
- Top with fresh basil and serve immediately