DIY Pallet Greenhouse For Less Than $50

This year, Michael and I started a variety of veggies and herbs in our kitchen. We planted tomatoes, celery, basil, parsley, oregano, peppers, and a few other things. They started out great, but we quickly started running out of room in our kitchen and needed a place to relocate everything.

So, I happened to come across this post from Swing ‘n’ Cocoa, and decided to try it out myself! But of course, I tried to be as frugal as possible and ended up using pallets that Michael has pretty much unlimited access to from his job to save some cash. The end result was great and I encourage you to give it a try! 

DIY pallet greenhouse for less than $50!

DIY Pallet Greenhouse For Less Than $50

What you’ll need: 

  • 12 pallet slats (two pallets) – FREE 
  • Three 10′ x 1/2″ PVC pipes – $6.09 ($2.03 each)
  • 1″ x 2″ x 6′ furring strip – On hand
  • 3″ framing angle anchors x4 – $3.92 ($.98 each)
  • 2″ framing angle anchors x4 – $2.68 ($.67 each)
  • Pipe straps 10 pack – $2.14
  • 2″ x 4″ mending plates x4 – $3.04 ($.76 each)
  • 1″ x 4″ mending plates x2 – $1.22 ($.61 each)
  • 3′ chain x2 – $2.76 – ($.46 per foot)
  • Hinges x2 – $5.30 ($2.65 each)
  • Hasp latch – $6.24
  • 10′ x 25′ 3.5 mil plastic sheeting – $11.98
  • Wood screws
  • Hammer and nails
  • Staple gun and staples
  • Scissors
  • Yard stick and pencil
  • Tape – we used what we had on hand, but I reccomend using Gorilla Clear Repair Duct Tape 
  • Drill
  • Circular saw – this is what we had on hand

TOTAL COST: $45.37

(Depending on what you already have on hand, this project could work out to be more or less than we paid, but ours came out to just over $45.)

Step 1: Remove your pallet slats and begin building your frame. Form the sides of the frame by connecting two slats with the 2″ mending plates- one on either side. Repeat for the opposite side.

Step 2: Connect the sides to the ends of your frame using the 3″ anchors. We also nailed them together on the ends for extra reinforcement.

Step 3: Secure your frame by nailing two slats on either side. Not pictured, but recommended: staple the mesh to the bottom of your frame (we did this later). 

Step 4: Using a yard stick and pencil, bisect the remaining slats lengthwise and cut them using your saw. Repeat steps 1-3 using the smaller anchors and mending plates. You now have your bottom and top frames! 

Step 5: Line up the frames and hinge them together. Apply light pressure and add your hasp to the opposite end.

Step 6: Time to attach your PVC pipes! We used three, one at each end and one in the middle. Secure them using the pipe straps (we drilled at a bit of an angle to clamp them in place better). 

(Ignore our messy garage!)

Step 7: Attach the furring strip to the top of the PVC pipes using zip ties. This will reinforce them and prevent them from bending. Attach your chain to the hinged side.

Step 8: Cut out two pieces of plastic to go on the ends, leaving enough to tuck it under. Secure it to the PVC pipe by folding it under and taping it- tightly! Pull it underneath the top frame and staple it to the inside. You will have to cut it to fit around the hasp.


Step 9: Roll the remaining plastic over the top of the PVC pipes and staple to the furring strip to ensure you have enough on each side. Pull the sides under and staple them on the inside.

Step 10: Trim the excess of the ends and then fold them and tape them down. 

Voila! You now have your very own greenhouse to grow your plants in! Now, this is mine and Michael’s first real attempt at gardening and since we are renting, we have all of our plants in containers (which has been working out quite well). 

As I mentioned before, we added in the mesh later, but Michael used some extra wood we had lying around and made this little shelf to put our veggies on. So far, we have some peppers, cherry tomatoes, and celery. And check out our giant aloe vera in the back, holy cow!

I’m curious to see how this greenhouse is gonna hold up this winter (the PNW is extremely damp), but because of how cheap this was to make, I don’t think it would be a problem to have to rebuild it. I will be sure to keep this post updated!

Until the next project!

Post may contain affiliate links. Read full disclosure here.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *